This workshop will provide a basic to intermediate level of information for psychotherapists to provide affirming care for transgender, genderqueer, and nonbinary adult clients and family members. Participants will be offered language to discuss relevant clinical issues, criteria for diagnosing and supporting medical treatment for gender dysphoria, and knowledge of common challenges for transgender clients and their family members. Participants will have the opportunity to apply acquired knowledge through discussion of case studies. In addition, participants will be provided local referral information for transgender clients’ access to resources. 6 CE Credits
This workshop is designed to help participants:
1. Summarize terms and definitions relevant to transgender clients.
2. Recognize common risk factors and psychosocial needs of transgender adults.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of DSM-5 and WPATH Standards of Care v 7 (SoC) criteria for diagnosis and treatment of gender dysphoria.
4. Demonstrate differing positions on guidelines for medical transition including SoC versus informed consent and medical treatment for non-binary clients.
5. Apply gender affirming approaches to psychotherapy sessions with adult clients.
6. Discuss transition-related issues with partners and family members of transgender adults.
Dr. Teresa Johnson is a licensed psychologist and certified sex therapist practicing in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. She works with adult clients to address issues related to gender and sexuality, as well as anxiety and emotional wellbeing. She provides individual and couples counseling, and she facilitates group therapy sessions for women who are processing sexual issues. Her primary focus in her clinical work is to assist clients in having authentic and passionate lives through self-acceptance and self-compassion.